Search Makings and Musings

December 19, 2011

TUESDAY MAKE UP: CHRISTMAS THEMED NAILS AND REVIEW OF SALON EXPRESS NAIL STAMPING KIT

My dear Hubs got me some things for my nails for my birthday on the 18th.  I generally dislike getting older, but I am having such fun with my blog and crafts and such that this year it was no problem.  I just looked at it as celebrating the 20th anniversary of my 22nd birthday.  That makes me still 22, right?  At any rate Hubs presented me with a box of 12 nail polishes, and the Salon Express Nail Art Stamping Kit you may have seen touted on As Seen On TV.  The following is a review of the stamping kit, as well as my Christmas themed nails I did just for fun!  Read on to see if I liked it, loved it, or left it!



I was excited to get my stamper.  I have seen so many different nail styles using stampers that I really wanted one.  I also went on Amazon and ordered a Monster Bundle of plates for it.  I think I have more designs that I will ever possibly use!  The kit is surprisingly inexpensive.  It runs for just $9.95 on Amazon, and I think about the same from As Seen On TV.  I think those commercials are hilarious.  "Buy this and you will immediately be happy and all the world's problems will be solved!"  It doesn't quite work that way, but I did at least smile when I opened the package.  Another reason to smile?  I found that Born Pretty was giving  away a free Hello Kitty pattern disc, free shipping too!  Just click here and it will take you right to the page if you are interested.
The Salon Express Nail Art Stamping Kit comes with a stamper, a scraper, a disc holder, and 5 discs, each with 6-7 designs on them.  I think if you order it from As Seen On TV you get an extra disc.  It has detailed instructions which I actually read.  I usually toss them in the recycle bin with the packaging, but I really wanted this to work.  It's a pretty simple concept.  Pick out the design to transfer to your nails, paint some polish on the disc, roll the stamper over it to pick up the design, then roll the stamper across your prepared nail and viola!  A perfectly manicured nail!

I gathered my supplies and set about stamping my nails.  Since it is nearly Christmas I thought I would try a wintry/Christmas theme.  It took me awhile to find something approximating a snowflake on the pattern discs, but eventually I found one that would do.  I don't think it is actually intended to be a snowflake, but hey, its close enough.  I prepared my nails by painting them with a base coat and then 2 coats of a gorgeous light gray from NYX called Sidewalking.

After letting my nails dry I was ready to stamp.  I decided that white would be appropriate for a snowflake.  I painted the design on the disc, rolled the stamper across it, and rolled it on my nail.  WOW!  It worked!  It was so easy!
I had read a few reviews that said the design wouldn't pick up on the stamper, or wouldn't transfer to the nail.  I had no problem at all.  The only thing I would advise is that you must work quickly or the polish dries and then the design won't stick.  For me it worked like a charm!  In fact it was so quick and easy that I found myself wanting to stamp more and kinda over did it on my nails.  I think they may have looked better with just one stamp on each nail, but not bad for my first time. Now I am inspired to stamp more things.  Crafty things, we shall see where this all leads!  I finished off my nails with a coat of glitter polish, just to make things festive.

So...did I Like it, Love it, or Leave it?  I loved it!  I recommend it to anyone who wants to have a little fun with their nails, and it would make a perfect stocking stuffer for almost any teen aged girl.  I think they have them at some of the drugstores, like Walgreens and CVS.  Happy Holidays to all!
Love and Hugs!
Jillie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments! I love comments!!!